Academic Character and Skill Development Spring 2019 Student Help Homework (10%)
Course: BUS 100 – Academic Character and Skill Development Spring 2019
Don’t use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay on
Academic Character and Skill Development Spring 2019
Just from $9/Page
Group Members and ID:
1. Student’s name: _________________________ ID number: _________________________
2. Student’s name: _________________________ ID number: _________________________
3. Student’s name: _________________________ ID number: _________________________
4. Student’s name: _________________________ ID number: _________________________
5. Student’s name: _________________________ ID number: _________________________
The movie Spare Parts is an American film from 2015.
Four undocumented Mexican American students, two great teachers, one robot-building contest…and a major motion picture.
In 2004, four Latino teenagers arrived at the Marine Advanced Technology Education Robotics Competition at the University of California, Santa Barbara. They were born in Mexico but raised in Phoenix, Arizona, where they attended an underfunded public high school. No one had ever suggested to Oscar, Cristian, Luis, or Lorenzo that they might amount to much.
And build a robot they did. Their robot wasn’t pretty, especially compared to those of the competition. They were going up against some of the best collegiate engineers in the country, including a team from MIT backed by a $10,000 grant from ExxonMobil. The Phoenix teenagers had scraped together less than $1,000 and built their robot out of scavenged parts. This was never a level competition – and yet, against all odds… they won!
(taken and adapted from Wikipedia entry on this film: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spare_Parts_(2015_film))
After watching the movie Spare Parts you will need to meet as a group to discuss the questions below. Then, using the relevant theory from your books together with your personal experience, answer the questions as fully as possible by referring to specific scenes from the movie. Each answer should be of minimum 200 words. You will have to answer a total of 5 questions and each member should be personally responsible for one of the answers. However, you will all need to approve, revise and edit the work together.
Please answer all questions from 1 – 4. Then answer 1 question from 5 and 6. (You should answer a total of 5 questions)
1. There are several instances in Spare Parts when the boys failed to fulfill their duties, such as when facing the difficulties building the robot, and when the meetings fell into chaos almost breaking up the group. Consider the benefits and drawbacks of discipline and incentives that their teacher used on them (Piscitelli Chapter 4).
2. Working on the robotics competition project has forced the students to prioritize in their personal and academic life. Explain how they set their priorities and what effect it had on their lives. (Piscitelli Chapter 3).
3. Discuss the communication among the boys in the robotics club based on Covey’s model.
4. How did the students’ accepting responsibilities lead to a success at the competition? How could the application of Covey’s Proactive Model prevent the problems?
5. Rosalynn Carter said that, “A leader takes people where they want to go. A great leader takes people where they don‘t necessarily want to go, but ought to be”. If you were the students’ mentor, how would you use Covey’s Time Management Matrix to organize their group activities?
6. Considering Covey’s Force Field Analysis, discuss the way the restraining and driving forces operate inside the robotics section and how they affect the group dynamics among the students.
Assessment Criteria / GRADING RUBRIC (HOMEWORK)
15 – 20
10 – 15
6 – 9
2 – 5
answer to the
Answer is complete;
provided to support
focuses only on
issues related to the
Answer is brief with
and/or minor errors
Answer is incomplete.
Excessive discussion of unrelated issues and/or
significant errors in content
The essay did not
answer the question
Deals fully with the
Most of the basic
details are included
but some are missing
Serious gaps in the
basic details needed
None of the
All statements are accurate relative to the resource being examined and/or to the material in the textbook
Most statements are accurate relative to the resource being examined and/or to the material in the textbook
Few statements are accurate relative to the resource being examined and/or to the material in the textbook
None of the statements are accurate relative to the resource being examined and/or to the material in the textbook
Dynamics and collaboration
All students had input and group organization shows outstanding effort
All students had input and group organization is adequate
All students had input but overall group organization of material is lacking
Majority of work is done by one of a few students; work may be incomplete
of writing (spelling,
Clear, readable, prose. Very good use of transitions; no problems with
spelling, punctuation, or grammar
prose. Good use of
Frequent problems with
mechanics of language;
sentences and poor
with mechanics of
Poor or absent
difficult to understand
1 | Page
5 | Page
Continue to order
Get a quote
Discusses the many details of entrepreneurshipThe Smoking Alternative
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more